The precautions were taken even though the mail delivered to the two facilities was previously irradiated to kill pathogens, according to the Department of Defense (DoD). Officials said anthrax killed by irradiation could still trigger a sensor alarm. Mar 14 DoD news releasehttp://www.defense.gov/releases/release.aspx?releaseid=8309 A Department of Health and Human Services official said the Army was doing further tests to determine if the anthrax found in samples from the Pentagon mail facility was alive, according to the Post. The tests normally take 24 to 48 hours. A Fairfax County, Va., news release said the Falls Church office complex remained closed today pending results of laboratory testing. The release said the public is not at risk for exposure. The Postal Service said the Trenton Processing and Distribution Center, a major center for the New York metropolitan area, reopened yesterday with a “new state-of-the-art Biohazard Detection System.” Officials said more than 1,000 people attended the reopening. A DoD statement said about 175 people who work at the Pentagon facility and another 100 who might have been exposed to the mail were being contacted, asked to provide nasal swabs for testing, and given a 3-day course of antibiotics. Because of the prior irradiation, no pathogen detection is used at the V Street building, the report said. See also: DoD said a sensor at the Pentagon’s Remote Delivery Facility, a separate building, detected possible anthrax. Later tests were negative, but the Washington Post reported today that polymerase chain reaction testing by the Army confirmed the presence of anthrax in samples from the facility. However, it was not yet known if the anthrax was alive. Mar 15, 2005 (CIDRAP News) Signs of anthrax detected by sensors at two military mail facilities in the Washington, DC, area yesterday prompted authorities to shut down several buildings and recommend antibiotics for hundreds of workers. DoD question-and-answer bulletinhttp://www.defenselink.mil/news/Mar2005/d20050314anthrax.pdf The alarms at the two DoD mail facilities also prompted federal officials to shut down a Washington postal facility that processes mail for DoD and other government agencies, the Post reported. Although mail processed at the facility, on V Street Northeast, is irradiated before it gets there, health officials recommended a course of antibiotics for about 200 workers there, the story said. Ironically, the Washington anthrax alarm coincided with the reopening of a Trenton, N.J., postal facility that had been closed since the letter-borne anthrax attacks in October 2001. Five people died as a result of those unsolved attacks, and another 17 got sick. The newspaper quoted an anonymous source as saying that mail moves from the Pentagon to the Falls Church office complex, implying a possible link between the two cases. However, a DoD spokesman told the Post he was not aware of any connection. The newspaper said federal, state, and local health officials were preparing to issue a notice urging healthcare providers to be alert for patients with possible signs of anthrax. The facility closed Oct 18, 2001, after NBC anchor Tom Brokaw, two US senators, and the New York Post received anthrax-tainted letters that passed through it, according to an Associated Press report. An anthrax alarm also was triggered yesterday afternoon in a DoD mailroom at an office complex at 5111 Leesburg Pike in Falls Church, Va., a few miles from the Pentagon, according to the Post. The alarm triggered a lockdown in which up to 800 people were confined in the building until evening, the newspaper said. DoD statements did not say when sensors first detected possible anthrax at the Pentagon facility, but the Post said the initial positive tests were last week. The story said later tests were negative, but officials closed the facility and evacuated workers yesterday. Fairfax County news releasehttp://www.co.fairfax.va.us/news/2005/05080.htm Health officials were not recommending precautionary medical treatment for workers at the Falls Church building, except for a few considered to have a higher risk of exposure, according to a Fairfax County telephone information service.
Mar 21, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – World Health Organization (WHO) officials will propose new ideas about producing H5N1 avian influenza vaccines to Asian health ministers next week in Jakarta in the hope of resolving an impasse with Indonesia over sharing of virus samples, according to press reports.The WHO said it would press pharmaceutical companies to expand vaccine manufacturing in developing nations to lower the cost of the vaccines to those countries, Bloomberg News reported today.”Some companies might be able to transfer some of their bulk capacity to developing-country industries,” David Heymann, WHO’s acting director-general for communicable diseases, told Bloomberg, adding that the solution could take 10 years to achieve. He said WHO officials will discuss the plan with as many as 12 countries at the Mar 26 and 27 meeting in Jakarta.In early February, Indonesia announced it would stop sharing H5N1 samples with the WHO because the government believes it is unfair for foreign countries to use the samples to develop vaccines that poor nations can’t afford. The country also signed a memorandum of understanding with US vaccine producer Baxter International that laid the groundwork for future collaborations or supply agreements.Unrestricted sharing of avian flu virus samples is vital to the research community for developing vaccines and monitoring the virus’s evolution and global spread.On Feb 16 Indonesian Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari met with Heymann, and it appeared that Indonesia had agreed in principle to resume sharing its H5N1 samples. However, the agreement has not been finalized, and Supari announced on Mar 14 that Indonesia would not share any more samples until it has a “legally binding” guarantee that the samples won’t be used to develop vaccines that the country couldn’t afford.Supari told reporters today that an inability of poor countries to access vaccines during an influenza pandemic could threaten world peace, Reuters reported. “If we want the world to be a harmonious place, the poor should be helped with the technology. If the situation remains like this, poor nations will become poorer, sicker, and more helpless,” she said.Heymann told Bloomberg that WHO Director-General Margaret Chan will meet with flu vaccine manufacturers after the Jakarta conference to discuss options for maintaining access to samples.However, he told Canadian Press (CP) today that it is difficult to discuss access to vaccines when the world capacity for making them is so limited. The WHO has estimated the world’s annual production capacity for trivalent flu vaccine at a maximum of about 350 million doses.Despite this limited capacity, Heymann said his team could still make proposals to the developing nations that are concerned about access to vaccines, CP reported. One option is to create a “virtual stockpile” from supplies held back by vaccine producers that would be earmarked for use by developing countries in the early days of an emerging pandemic, he said.See also:Mar 14 CIDRAP News story “Indonesia wants legal pact on sharing H5N1 samples”
Mar 20, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – Interpol’s top official said yesterday that evidence collected from terrorists suggests that international law enforcement agencies should be ready to respond to chemical and biological attacks. Ronald K. Noble, Interpol secretary-general, told a reporter from Gulf News, a newspaper based in the United Arab Emirates, that training materials recovered from Al Qaida investigations and information from captured operatives suggest that terrorist groups have had plans to launch bioterrorist attacks. Noble made the comments at an Interpol bioterrorism prevention workshop for the Middle East and North Africa, which is being held this week in Muscat, Oman. Interpol is the world’s largest international organization of police agencies. The goals of 3-day meeting in Oman are to educate senior law enforcement officials about bioterrorism prevention and response and provide them with guidance from international scientific and legal experts, according to an Interpol press release yesterday. Similar Interpol workshops have been held in South Africa, Singapore, Chile, and Ukraine. Labs that handle infectious disease pathogens such as polio, rabies, tuberculosis, and avian flu were told that their security measures would be reviewed by law enforcement, the newspaper reported. The story said Britain’s MI5 security service had warned government officials that al Qaida operatives were training in bioterrorism and that the group had apparently tried to recruit university students to gain access to labs. In January, British intelligence officials warned the country’s laboratory officials that Islamic terrorists may try to steal deadly viruses to mount biological attacks, the London Daily Mail reported on Jan 25. “I have no doubt that the threat of bioterrorism is real and that we need to do more to prepare countries,” Noble said in the press release. Mar 19 Interpol press releasehttp://www.interpol.int/News-and-media/News-media-releases/2007/PR006 See also: Terrorists in Iraq recently perpetrated three chlorine bomb attacks, and “it is not difficult to imagine these attacks being extended from chemical to biological,” Noble told Gulf News. “Nobody really knows when al Qaida will strike with chemical or biological weapons, but it is just a matter of time before the terrorists believe they are ready,” he said, adding that the only restraint the terrorists face is the technical complexity of launching effective attacks.
Aug 16, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – For the second time in 4 days, Indonesia’s health ministry today announced a fatal human case of H5N1 avian influenza, this one in a 17-year-old girl from a town just west of Jakarta who died Aug 14.The World Health Organization (WHO), in a statement confirming the case, reported the girl got sick on Aug 9, was hospitalized Aug 13, and died a day later. She was from Tangerang, 12 miles west of Jakarta, in Banten province.Investigators are working to determine how the girl was exposed to the virus, the WHO said. Her death pushes Indonesia’s H5N1 case count to 104 and its death toll to 83.Joko Suyono, a health ministry spokesman, said tests from two local laboratories confirmed the girl was infected with the H5N1 virus, the Associated Press reported today.The last previous H5N1 victim in Indonesia was a 29-year-old woman from the resort island of Bali who died Aug 12 after she had contact with sick and dead chickens. The WHO reported that the woman’s 3-year-old daughter had died of a respiratory illness before her mother fell ill, but health officials did not suspect she had an H5N1 infection.The WHO’s global H5N1 case count now stands at 321 cases and 194 deaths, including 58 cases and 36 deaths this year.See also:Aug 16 WHO statementhttp://www.who.int/csr/don/2007_08_16/en/index.html
According to the TOMAS summer 2017 survey, seven percent of tourists visit Croatia motivated by health reasons, while almost eight percent come for wellness. Tourists spend 20-30% more in health tourism than the average guest, and Croatia has all the predispositions for year-round tourism through health tourism. “Health tourism is the fastest growing part of the tourism industry, growing annually at a rate of 15 to 20 percent. In this segment, Croatia has an extremely strong resource base and rich tradition. It is a product that is not related to the sun and the sea and as such has a strong impact on the extension of the tourist season, both on the coast and on the continent. I am sure of the positive effects of the ESPA conference, which brought together many foreign experts who will exchange examples of good practice with their Croatian colleagues when it comes to this type of tourist offer.”, Said the director of the CNTB Kristjan Staničić, adding how Representatives of this growing tourism niche, with revenues at the EU level of more than 47 billion euros, gathered in Terme Tuhelj at the annual congress of the European SPA Association (ESPA), which takes place from 8 to 10 May, co-organized by the Croatian Chamber of Commerce and the CNTB partnership. Spas and medical wellness services in many European countries account for up to 25 percent of tourism revenue. Also, they are the drivers of the economic development of the regions, they employ the local population and work all year round, and the guests of health and health tourism achieve above-average consumption and stay longer than average. “The potential for the development of health tourism for year-round operations is exceptional, therefore it is included as part of the Strategy for the Development of Croatian Tourism until 2020. , “Said Assistant Minister of Tourism Olivera Šarić, emphasizing that through cooperation at congresses like this we learn about best practices since each country has something special and indigenous to offer to its guest. The aim of the event is to follow new trends and innovations in the field of health tourism, through the presentation of best practices and new niche markets in spa, spa and wellness tourism. The event brings together representatives of 21 European countries, and during the congress, awards will be presented “ESPA Innovation Awards“For the innovation of medical wellness and spa hotel providers, as very important references in health tourism. “We see health tourism as a great chance to strengthen the off-season offer, extend the tourist season and attract guests of higher purchasing power. In order to achieve greater competitiveness of Croatian health tourism, it is crucial to intensify marketing activities in order to strengthen the image of Croatia as a destination for health tourism. The second thing is new investments, ie construction of new and renovation of existing capacities. In this way, we are approaching the possibility of obtaining international certificates, which are key to increasing the number of foreign guests,”Said the Vice President of the Croatian Chamber of Commerce for Agriculture and Tourism Dragan Kovacevic on the occasion of the opening of the Congress of Health Tourism of the European SPAS Association (ESPA).
Let us remind you that not so long ago in 2017, Carwiz established itself in Croatia in a very short period of time as an equal market player and over time a leader who expanded its business to the European, African, Asian and American markets in just one year. Based on current indicators, there is no reason to doubt that global expansion and strengthening of the position will not continue in the new 2020 year. In addition to the franchise countries in Carwiz, they also manage thirteen branches in Croatia, and in order for everything to be ideally harmonized, they take care of Ivan Ažić, Director of Development and Željko Županić, director of logistics together with colleagues who work every day to improve the service. Dobrilović has repeatedly emphasized that all teams and employees are responsible for the growth of Carwiz, but he especially emphasizes his closest team. Sales Director Borko Ribić, who manages sales in twenty countries, advises franchise managers who care about existing franchise partners and negotiate with potential ones. “Traveling the world and seeing my brand in almost every corner is something I had hoped for and aspired to, but achieving such global success in just one year is more than a vision of one man, for me it is a product of togetherness, a clear goal and the highest level of team motivation.”, Admits Krešimir Dobrilović. Realized strategic goals in Carwiz rent a car, along with revenue growth and market dominance, once again showed that knowledge, perseverance and vision form the formula for success, namely the success of an incredible 55 million kilometers, which represents 1.400 laps around the planet with Carwiz vehicles. Photo: Carwiz Presence in as many as twenty countries, from Greece and Iceland, through Ireland, Turkey, Poland, the Czech Republic, Romania, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Serbia, Portugal, all the way to the Baltic countries, Morocco, the Caribbean and two branches in the United States is unique success. Although it is the end of the year, Carwiz is working full steam ahead, so franchise managers are negotiating with potential partners from New York, Canada and Austria, while intensive preparations are underway for appearances at international fairs in Istanbul, Berlin and the International Car Rental Show. in Las Vegas to be held in early 2020. In negotiations with potential partners from New York, Canada and Austria Caring for the image and reputation of the Carwiz brand, nurturing internal and external communication and other marketing activities in as many as twenty countries with his team is led by the director of marketing, Barbara Mrkić. Four continents, twenty countries, more than fifty cities, over sixty branches, 55 million kilometers and 10.000 vehicles – this is the summary of last year’s Croatian rent-a-car, which successfully marketed its business model around the world. “We continuously analyze market events, set goals and raise quality, which resulted in 54% more rent compared to last year and 74% higher revenue than last year, which is why I can say that I am more than proud of my team.” Dobrilovic added.