A 15-year-old Dalit girl was raped allegedly by two men in a moving car here, the police said on Wednesday. Acting on a complaint lodged by the victim’s mother on Tuesday, a case was registered against Praveen (37) and his friend. In her complaint, the woman said that her daughter was in trauma since the incident. She added that the two men had also threatened her daughter, saying they would eliminate her family. The woman claimed that her daughter and Praveen had met on social networking site Facebook. Praveen had been putting pressure on the girl to meet him, the police said. On July 26, he called the victim near Lal Dwara temple, where he and his friend were waiting in a car, they said. When the girl arrived, the accused allegedly pushed her inside the car and took turns to rape her in the moving vehicle, the police said. The two men later left the girl in a park near her house. Praveen was arrested on Wednesday while his friend was yet to be arrested, the police said. The accused have been booked under the relevant sections of the IPC and the provisions of the POCSO Act and the SC/ST Act, they said.
PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games PLAY LIST 03:07PH billiards team upbeat about gold medal chances in SEA Games05:25PH boxing team determined to deliver gold medals for PH00:45Onyok Velasco see bright future for PH boxing in Olympics00:50Trending Articles01:35Panelo suggests discounted SEA Games tickets for students02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games03:04Filipino athletes share their expectations for 2019 SEA Games02:25PH women’s volleyball team motivated to deliver in front of hometown crowd01:27Filipino athletes get grand send-off ahead of SEA Games But head coach Pat Aquino admitted that the schedule—not just their opponents—presents a big stumbling block.“I don’t know about the schedule but it works against us,” said Aquino.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSWATCH: Drones light up sky in final leg of SEA Games torch runSPORTSSEA Games: Philippines picks up 1st win in men’s water poloSPORTSMalditas save PH from shutoutCompetition starts Aug. 20. He said Perlas, which played in the tough Fiba Asia Women’s Cup, will play Singapore, Indonesia and Myanmar in that order.“Then we will take on (title favorite) Thailand the following day. Thailand will be coming from a break going into that game,” Aquino told the Inquirer. LOOK: Venues for 2019 SEA Games MOST READ Typhoon Kammuri accelerates, gains strength en route to PH PH water polo gunning for podium celebration WATCH: Streetboys show off slick dance moves in Vhong Navarro’s wedding Photo by Marc Reyes/INQUIRERIt won’t be just Gilas Pilipinas shooting for a basketball gold in Kuala Lumpur.Perlas Pilipinas, the less-heralded women’s squad, will also go all out for a Southeast Asian Games crown when the biennial meet kicks off next week.ADVERTISEMENT Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. K-pop star Jung Joon-young convicted of gang rape, spycam crimes Catriona Gray spends Thanksgiving by preparing meals for people with illnesses UPLB exempted from SEA Games class suspension Brace for potentially devastating typhoon approaching PH – NDRRMC LATEST STORIES Read Next SEA Games in Calabarzon safe, secure – Solcom chief The crucial game against the Thais will be at 8:30 p.m. Then the Philippines takes on host Malaysia at 11 a.m. the following day.“Imagine we need to go back to the hotel, it would take time. How much sleep can we get?” said Aquino.Still, team captain Raiza Rose Dy said the team is in high spirits.“Our experience in the Fiba Asia Women’s Cup was a big help, because of world class competition; we got to play against WNBA players,” said Dy. “That is something not experienced by other SEA Games countries.”The Philippines wound up fourth two years ago in the Singapore edition which was dominated by Malaysia.ADVERTISEMENT View comments
The Philippine Azkals were readying for a key match against Kyrgyzstan at press time. —CONTRIBUTED PHOTO/DENNIS MALLARIDUBAI—It’s not just Phil and James Younghusband whose club careers were uncertain before they joined the national team in the AFC Asian Cup here.Defensive stalwart Alvaro Silva is also playing for the Azkals without even knowing where he will continue his club career next season.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Silva, who has played in Spain, South Korea, Azerbaijan, Vietnam and most recently, Malaysia, said he remained focused on the Azkals and would decide on his future only after the team’s stint was finished here.Phil and James Younghusband are also without clubs after Davao Aguilas decided it won’t field a professional team next season. Another teammate of the Younghusband brothers at Davao, Adam Reed, is also here with the national team and came on as a sub against South Korea.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool stars“I want to focus on the team because we still need to win and reach the knockout stage,” said the 34-year-old Silva, who was set to start for coach Sven-Goran Eriksson against Kyryzstan in the Azkals’ final group C match at Rashid Stadium here.A strong physical presence with the ability to read danger before it happens, Silva is one of the primary reasons why the Azkals held South Korea for long periods, before conceding a goal in the second half in a 0-1 defeat. TS Kammuri to enter PAR possibly a day after SEA Games opening MOST READ SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion Chief Justice Peralta vows to lead by example, bares 10-point program PLAY LIST 02:02Chief Justice Peralta vows to lead by example, bares 10-point program04:04‘Quiel’ now a severe tropical storm – Pagasa00:50Trending Articles02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Is Luis Manzano planning to propose to Jessy Mendiola? Pacquiao larger than life for Broner SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte LOOK: Joyce Pring goes public with engagement to Juancho Triviño SEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completion View comments
Brighton midfielder Stephens: I’ve never played in a team like thisby Ansser Sadiqa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveBrighton midfielder Dale Stephens admits that he has never played on a team with such quality.The Albion have gone through a change in style this summer, with manager Graham Potter favouring a possession based, attacking game plan.And Stephens admits that having so much of the ball in games is a change for him, given the way his teams have usually played throughout his career.Asked by reporters if he has played in such a team before, Stephens responded by saying:”No, honestly not.”It’s the first time I have played in a system that probably suits me better, I would say.”It probably suits the players and individuals we have at the club at the minute.”Everyone is enjoying playing in a team that is dominating possession.” About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your say
The legislation passed in the House of Commons last spring and is being debated in the Senate.An agenda posted online shows the committee is to hear from incoming premier Jason Kenney of the United Conservative Party, Chief of Ermineskin Cree Nation Craig Makinaw, Mayor Don Scott of the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, as well as numerous academics from Alberta universities.The committee heard earlier this month from outgoing NDP premier Rachel Notley, who urged the Senate to toss the bill “in the garbage.”She said the proposed law is discriminatory because it wouldn’t be able to stop international tanker traffic, but would impede Alberta’s efforts to get oil to new markets.Notley added that it’s a double standard given that Ottawa supports the liquefied natural gas industry, tankers on the St. Lawrence Seaway and Newfoundland’s Hibernia oil project.“Let’s show Canadians that 90,000 jobs in downtown Calgary are just as important as 90,000 jobs in downtown Montreal,” Notley said on Apr. 9 via video link from Calgary to senators in Ottawa. EDMONTON, A.B. – A Senate committee is set to hear today from Albertans, including their new premier, on the federal government’s bill to ban tankers off the British Columbia coast.The committee on transport and communications is holding public hearings in Edmonton on Bill C-48.The bill would prohibit oil tankers carrying more than 12,500 tonnes of crude oil in the waters between the northern tip of Vancouver Island and the Alaska border. “Don’t block us, back us,” she added.Kenney has also criticized the tanker bill. He agreed with Notley that it unfairly targets “ethically produced” Alberta oil instead of “dictator oil” imported from overseas.
Mumbai: Venture capital/private equity investments doubled in March to $7 billion on an annualised basis, boosted by a spurt in large transactions, says a report. Exits during the month were 34 percent lower at $465 million involving 13 transactions, a report by consultancy firm EY said Thursday. March was the best month ever for private equity (PE) and venture capital (VC ) investments, it said, adding that the $7-billion mark in the month was more than double of $3 billion in the previous year and over 30 percent higher than the previous high of $5.4 billion clocked in August 2017. Thirteen large deals of $100 million-plus adding up to $6 billion helped boost the numbers, and Brookfields $1.9 billion buyout of Reliance Industries Ltd (RIL’s) East-West Pipeline was the largest deal during the month. On the back of a busy March, the March quarter has emerged as the best ever quarter for private equity/ venture capital investments, with investments worth $11.4 billion, up 37 percent over the same period a year ago. The month also recorded highest monthly value and number of buyout deals, aggregating at $2.8 billion across seven deals. Private investment in public equity investments rose to $1.9 billion, but massivley down from $3 billion a year ago. From a fund raising perspective, the firepower plunged to a low $40 million in March from $1.1 billion a year ago.
Australia captain Mark Milligan has praised Martin Boyle following the striker’s international debut.Milligan and Boyle both play their club football with Scottish Premiership outfit Hibs and the former was impressed with the way the latter handled his first appearance in an Australian shirt.“I think Martin’s a wonderful player and I think he did show his qualities when he came on,” he said, according to official Socceroos website.“He loves getting at goal as we mentioned beforehand and he had a big hand in the equaliser in the end.”Australia’s golden generation might be coming to an end Manuel R. Medina – January 27, 2019 Mark Milligan is considering retiring and if he does, he will be the last remaining 2006 FIFA World Cup player for Australia to call…“Your debut is always a very nerve-wracking time and I think he came on and he did very well.”“I look forward to see what he does offer going forward.”Meanwhile, Milligan also revealed a mixture of the Socceroos’ fighting spirit and their new-look attacking style should really encourage Australian fans.“I think you couple that [spirit] with the things that we’ve been working on, which we’ve still got some time to fine tune and I think we’ll be very dangerous at the Asian Cup,” he added.