OAKLAND — Manager Bob Melvin didn’t try to sugarcoat how difficult it will be for the A’s to absorb the loss of Gold Glove first baseman Matt Olson for at least the first few weeks of the regular season.Olson underwent surgery Friday that involved a right hamate excision in his right hand and is expected to be out for more than a month. The A’s play the Giants at the Coliseum on Sunday and are at Oracle Park on Monday and Tuesday to finish the Bay Bridge Series. The home opener is Thursday …
Related Posts Tags:#news#web A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… mike melanson An early-morning decision by the U.S. Supreme court has blocked cameras from a California court room, reversing last week’s decision to allow the delayed broadcast of the controversial trial on YouTube. The court is examining the constitutionality of Proposition 8, the same-sex marriage ban that was voted into law last year.The trial was set to be the first of its kind, with its proceedings broadcast on a delay over YouTube. The San Francisco Chronicle is reporting that the ban on its rebroadcast will be in place until at least Wednesday, to give the justices more time to consider the matter. The trial began this morning at 9 a.m. in San Francisco.Prop 8 supporters, the side that opposes gay marriage, have been pushing to stop the trial’s broadcasting altogether, saying that it might discourage witnesses from testifying. At the moment, it looks like their effort has been successful.The SFist quoted a motion by William Tam, one of the defendants, who said that he feared for the safety of himself and his family were the trial to be broadcast. “The first reason is because I am fearful for my personal safety and the safety of my family,” Tam wrote in the motion. “In the past I have received threats on my life, had my property vandalized and am recognized on the streets due to my association with Proposition 8. Now that the subject lawsuit is going to trial, I fear that I will get more publicity, be more recognizable and that the risk of harm to me and my family will increase.”The order to block the cameras from the court room came just hours before the trial was set to begin. Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market
A Pune-based woman, held in the run up to the Republic Day functions in Kashmir valley amid intelligence agencies’ inputs regarding presence of a female suicide bomber, has been released by the police, as it failed to establish any links with militancy.Police sources said the police investigation failed to establish anything against her and decided to set her free on Saturday. She was allowed to board a plane along with her mother, who along with her brother arrived in Srinagar last week. The woman remained in Srinagar’s Rambagh police station and went through “repeated questioning”.A police spokesman told The Hindu that Sadiya Anwar Shaikh, a resident of Maharastra’s Pune, had arrived in Srinagar on January 16 on a Vistara flight.A police official said she boarded a train from Bijbehara to Awantipora on January 25, immediately after the security agencies flashed inputs about a Pune-based girl “planning to detonate explosives inside or outside a Republic Day venue in J&K”.Police sources said the woman approached the Awantipora police station “on her own as she saw her name in the reports published by the local newspapers”.During her stay in the Valley, she tried to get in touch with a boy from Lal Bazaar in Srinagar. “The two had become friends on the Facebook and had developed a relationship. However, we could not establish if they got married or not,” a police officer said.Ms. Shaikh, with a religious bent of mind, also approached a nursing college in Anantnag’s Bijbehara for admission in a nursing course. She has already done a course in pharmacy in Pune.Earlier, the Pune police had also denied any pending case against the woman.
A day after a student alleged he was “stripped naked” and “filmed” inside a room at a reputed college here, West Bengal Education Minister Partha Chatterjee on Sunday said “strict action” would be taken against anyone found involved in the act. The video clip of the incident, which went viral on social media, showed the student pleading for mercy at St Paul’s Cathedral College even as he was forced to remove his clothes in front of a group of people. Mr. Chatterjee, who received a written complaint from the student on the matter, told reporters that anyone found involved in the misdeed would bear consequences. “If the allegations were found to be true in the inquiry report of the college, the government will show ‘zero tolerance’ to such misconduct,” he said.Upcoming festival The first-year student, who claimed to be a member of the Trinamool Congress Chhatra Parishad (TMCP) unit of the college, told media on Saturday that he was subjected to torture by some senior members of the students’ wing on May 17 when he inquired about the expenses incurred for arranging an upcoming festival in the college.
Meizu silently adds a new product to its budget segment lineup. The company, on Thursday, launched an affordable smartphone in India called the Meizu M6. It is not a new phone. The Chinese smartphone manufacturer initially launched the Meizu M6 in China almost around 6 months back. In India, the Meizu M6 will retail for a price tag of Rs 7,699 and available for buying on Amazon India store.Going by the pricing of the phone the Meizu M6 goes against some of the very popular and capable phones from other brands like the Xiaomi Redmi 5, the Redmi Note 5, the Honor 7A, the Nokia 3, among others.In terms of specifications, the Meizu M6 comes with a MediaTek processor, which definitely isn’t impressive enough, considering other phones in the same price bracket pack Snapdragon chipset, mostly Snapdragon 450 chipset which comparatively is better and faster in terms of performance. Meizu M6 is powered by a low-end MediaTek MT6750 chipset.The Meizu phone comes in two models. The base variant with 2GB RAM and 16GB of internal storage, while the second model packs 3GB RAM and 32GB of internal storage. The storage memory can be expandable up to 128GB via a microSD card.The Meizu phone comes with a small screen display of 5.2-inch with an aspect ratio of 16:9 and resolution of 720 x 1280 pixels. Meizu probably could have worked on the display bit a little more considering other phones in the price segment come with an aspect ratio of 18:9.On the camera front, the Meizu M6 sports a single sensor on both front and back side. On the rear, the M6 includes a 13-megapixel sensor with f/2.2 aperture, while on the front it packs an 8-megapixel selfie shooter with f/2.0 aperture. Both the front and the rear camera support LED flash for better picture capture in a low-light scenario.advertisementWhile most phones are shifting the fingerprint sensor to the rear panel, Meizu decides to stick to the traditions. The smartphone comes with a fingerprint sensor which sits below the home button.ALSO READ: Meizu just announced a phone with two screens and two rear camerasThe Meizu M6 packs outdated software. The smartphone comes with almost two years old; Android 7.0 Nougat with Meizu’s own customized UI Flyme UI 6.0 on top. It is disappointing to see the Meizu M6 come with Nougat when most phones come with Android Oreo. The phone comes with a 3,070 mAh battery, which is apparently easily last for a full working day.
AC Milan coach Gattuso: My brief is to qualify for the Champions Leagueby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveAC Milan coach Rino Gattuso admits his brief is to qualify for the Champions League.Gattuso admits their midweek draw with Bologna was a setback.He said, “We could’ve strengthened our grip on fourth at Bologna but didn’t. We played like schoolboys and didn’t play.“We weren’t good technically, whereas they all sat back. I worry about the heads of my players as we’ve struggled in our last few games.“Since my first day here, the club have asked me to qualify for the Champions League. It’s difficult, but we’re fourth at the moment.“We must make as little mistakes as possible, but there’s no problem on my part. I’m not thinking about being hunted.“I’m calm and I just think about working. The exit from Europe was a blow and we all expected more at Bologna, but we must analyse the situation with clarity and only think about working to improve.“I have to keep improving the team. Everything else is just hot air for me.” About the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say
Man Utd ponder Jan bid for Ajax ace Donny van de Beekby Paul Vegas10 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester United are looking at signing Donny van de Beek in January.The Ajax star was close to joining Real Madrid this past summer.Inter Milan and Tottenham Hotspur have also shown an interest in the 22-year-old, who was part of Ajax’s run to the Champions League semi-final last season.Reports in Italy claim United want to bolster their options in midfield by bringing in the Dutchman.United, on nine points, have made their worst start to a league campaign in 30 years. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Watford reject Fluminense request for Joao Pedroby Paul Vegas10 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveWatford have rejected a request from Fluminense for Joao Pedro to remain with them until mid-2020.The player has been the subject of booing from home supporters in recent weeks, after an eight game spell without a win and a public appearance at a music festival two days before a game, reports the Watford Observer. Despite his falling out with supporters, reports in Brazil claim the team have asked Watford if they can hold onto the teenager until a later date, but the Hornets are not interested in allowing him to stay in South America after his originally-agreed arrival date of January 2020. The 18-year-old has scored ten goals for Fluminense so far this season, but drew criticism for appearing at Rock In Rio festival last month.
John Calipari Tom IzzoJohn Calipari and Tom Izzo were together at an event to fight cancer at the Oakland Hills Country Club on Monday. During the event, put together by Oakland coach Greg Kampe, the Kentucky and Michigan State coach spoke with reporters. Recruiting came up. Calipari, who’s notorious at this point for being the best recruiter in the country, said Izzo has beaten him for prospects “way more than I’ve beaten him.” Izzo reacted appropriately. Here’s the full conversation, courtesy of the Lansing State Journal. Perhaps Izzo was beating out Calipari for recruits when the Kentucky coach was at Memphis, but it seems pretty crazy for him to say Izzo’s beaten him “way more than I’ve beaten him.” [LSJ]
LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Facebook A teenager from Saddle Lake First Nation has been chosen as one of the lead dancers for an event considered to be one of the world’s biggest powwows.When she takes the spotlight, 17-year-old Tia Wood will be dancing in front of thousands of people at the annual Gathering of Nations Powwow in Albuquerque, New Mexico.With the title “head young lady dancer,” she’ll have the honour of leading the grand entry of all dancers into the arena on both days of the event later this month. “I’ve only dreamt of that kind of position,” said Wood. “They choose only one young lady and one young man throughout all of Canada and the U.S.”Organizers expect tens of thousands of people to attend the event, which is a celebration of culture and traditions through Indigenous dance, music, arts and crafts. Advertisement Advertisement Advertisement Twitter Login/Register With: