Twitter RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR LUH system challenged by however, work to reduce risk to patients ongoing – Dr Hamilton Newsx Adverts By News Highland – November 22, 2010 Three factors driving Donegal housing market – Robinson Pinterest Facebook Google+ WhatsApp Media imbalance is contributing to economic uncertainty – Blaney With serious questions hanging over whether or not Brian Cowen will lead Fianna Fail into the next election, Donegal North East TD Niall Blaney has offered a spirited defence of the Taoiseach, saying he and the Fianna Fail party have been unfairly treated by the media.Deputy Blaney says he believes history will show that Mr Cowen has acted in the interests of the Irish people, and has not been given a fair chance.He says the way the media is portraying the negotiations with the EU and the IMF is typical of the way the truth is being distorted………[podcast]http://www.highlandradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/niall3pm.mp3[/podcast] Guidelines for reopening of hospitality sector published Pinterest Previous articleNew event management company launched in DonegalNext articleCouncil makes progress on Letterkenny allotment plans News Highland WhatsApp NPHET ‘positive’ on easing restrictions – Donnelly Almost 10,000 appointments cancelled in Saolta Hospital Group this week Google+ Calls for maternity restrictions to be lifted at LUH Facebook Twitter
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York View image | gettyimages.comAs the Milwaukee Bucks took a quick 11-4 lead in the first quarter of the Knicks’ season opener Wednesday, if you listened closely, you could hear tortured Knicks fans across the Big Apple letting out a collective groan. Missed shots, poor ball movement and unabated drives to the basket by the opposition were sure to be the portent of bad things to come for a long 82-game season.That’s life as a Knicks fan—always dreading the worst, embracing mediocrity, and forever bowing in disappointment, or disgust. It’s our burden, and we begrudgingly carry it around until the day MSG can shake off the last decade of futility, both on and off the court.In last year’s disastrous campaign the lowly Knicks managed only 17 victories—their worst record ever—but they did win more than the terrible Timberwolves, so even the smallest signs of improvement may be enough to provide fans with a tinge of hope, however fleeting it is.Phil Jackson went ahead and gutted almost the entire roster and basically started anew, save for a few players, including star forward Carmelo Anthony. For their ineptitude on the hardwood, the Knicks were awarded the fourth overall selection, which they used to draft rail-thin 20-year-old Kristaps Porzingis from Latvia, who, we’re told, boasted a deft touch despite his lanky 7-foot-3 frame. Later in the first round Jackson took Notre Dame senior point guard Jerian Grant, an athletic ball handler. Jackson then used James Dolan’s money to sign big man Robin Lopez and a slew of other bodies just to fill out the roster for the upcoming season, or so it seemed. He famously missed out on all-star LaMarcus Aldridge and failed to convince free agent center Greg Monroe to bring his many talents to the Garden. Now Knicks fans are already dreaming of Oklahoma City’s Kevin Durant’s impending free agency, even though history has not been kind to the Knicks when it comes to signing MVP-caliber players on the open market.So the franchise was left with one top 15 player in Anthony and a potpourri of role players with little star power. And the selection of Porzingis, who was booed vociferously on draft night by the Knicks faithful, did little to appease a fanbase yet to wash away the stench that wafted through the Garden last season and stunk up the joint.Knicks fans can’t be criticized for sitting down and viewing Wednesday’s opener against the Bucks with hefty skepticism. Afterall, the franchise has done little to reciprocate the loyalty demonstrated by its steadfast supporters over the last dozen years. So when the Bucks took a quick seven-point lead in the first quarter, we collectively cringed.Surprisingly, the team fought back. Knicks head coach Derek Fisher replaced a number of lethargic starters with spirited reserves, who were aggressive on defense and were flying to the basket. Former second overall pick Derrick Williams, who played well in the preseason, continued to impress with a team-leading 24-point outburst. The bench, led by Williams, point guard Langston Galloway, and power forward Kyle O’Quinn, who grabbed 12 rebounds, opened up a double-digit lead that the Knicks never relinquished. Imagine that!The reserves appeared to be all over the court. They crowded passing lanes, gambled defensively to force turnovers, and swarmed to the ball.Even Porzingis contributed with 16 points and five rebounds. Porzingis, who is blessed with a lethal stroke from the perimeter but has a frail frame, showed some guts by battling in the post and frequently attacking the rim, which is encouraging to watch. But how long his body can sustain the abuse of a grueling NBA season remains to be seen.Not everyone enjoyed a fruitful night. Anthony missed 12 of 16 shots, perhaps due to constant double teams, and point guard Jose Calderon came up empty on a number of occasions.But for one night, the Knicks did display encouraging signs. But let’s not forget it was only the first game in a long season, so not even success-starved Knicks fans will let Wednesday’s 122-97 victory go to their heads. Our skepticism is too entrenched for that.A quick trip to the past would also be helpful. Last season, the Knicks opened the year by defeating LeBron James and his Cleveland Cavaliers. After that, the Knicks only captured 16 more victories.On the surface, this doesn’t look like an NBA team destined for the basement of its division. So, maybe looking back is meaningless. This is an entirely different team. But these are still the Knicks we’re talking about, and they never fail to surprise us. Or disappoint.
Ready to strike in Serie A: Carlo Ancelotti has won titles in Europe’s five biggest leaguesMilan, Italy | AFP | As the sole survivor of a coaching shuffle among the leading challengers, Carlo Ancelotti could have the best chance to end Napoli’s 30-year wait for the Serie A title.Yet Antonio Conte’s arrival at Inter Milan has also raised expectations of an end to Juventus’s long domination in the season that kicks off on Saturday.Serie A runners-up Napoli have not held the Scudetto aloft since Argentine legend Diego Maradona inspired them to their only titles in 1987 and 1990.Ancelotti’s campaign begins in Fiorentina on Saturday, after Juventus, now coached by Maurizio Sarri, open their quest for a ninth consecutive title in Parma.Chinese-owned Inter Milan have also changed coaches with former Juventus and Chelsea boss Conte back home in Italy. Marco Giampaolo takes over at AC Milan and Paulo Fonseca at Roma.Sarri came close two years ago when he guided Napoli to runners-up spot, just four points behind Juventus, before moving to Chelsea.At 60, Sarri returns to Italy to coach Juventus as the champions look for a new direction despite five trophy-laden seasons under Massimiliano Allegri.The decision by Napoli-native Sarri to move north has hurt in his home town.“For us Neapolitans, that was a betrayal,” said captain Lorenzo Insigne.“Now we have to try to beat him at all costs.”Ancelotti embarks on the second year of his three-year contract, and wants silverware this campaign.The 60-year-old has won titles in Europe’s five biggest leagues. His Serie A title came with AC Milan back in 2004.He arrived in Naples boasting three Champions League trophies from his spells with Milan and Real Madrid, and a Premier League title from his two-year tenure at Chelsea.The veteran coach insists he has learned from his “transitional” first season.“We drew back the arrow, now we are ready to fire,” he warned. Ancelotti has bolstered in all areas with the arrival of defender Kostas Manolas, midfielder Elif Elmas and winger Hirving Lozano.– New-look Inter –Inter are being remodelled by former Italy boss Conte, who won three Serie A titles in a row with Juventus from 2012 to 2014, and the Premier League with Chelsea in 2017.Belgian forward Romelu Lukaku joins from Manchester United with young midfielders Stefano Sensi and Nicolo Barella arriving in the San Siro.Uncertainly remains however over the future of Argentine forward Mauro Icardi amid reported interest from Napoli.Inter last won the title in 2010 under Jose Mourinho, and open at home against newly-promoted Lecce on Saturday.But even amid uncertainty over how Sarri, who could miss the Parma opener with pneumonia, will adapt to life at Juventus, the Cristiano Ronaldo-powered champions remain favourites.Juventus have spent big with newly-signed Dutch defender Matthijs De Ligt and Turkey’s Merih Demiral.The midfield has been strengthened with PSG’s Adrien Rabiot and former Arsenal star Aaron Ramsey.Giampaolo takes over at AC Milan who missed out on Champions League qualification.The only non-Italian involved in this game of musical coaching benches, is Fonseca, working for the first time in Italy at Roma, who finished sixth last season.Gian Piero Gasperini remains at Atalanta after leading the unheralded northeners to a Champions League berth with a third-place finish just ahead of Inter on goal difference.The side from Bergamo open against SPAL.Share on: WhatsApp