3 keys: Syracuse needs to maximize possessions, take care of ball against Bryant

first_img Related Stories Massa’s warrior-like faceoff style transforming Bryant lacrosseResurgent Daddio prepares to face biggest challenge yet in Bryant’s Massa in NCAA tournament openerGetting to know Syracuse’s 1st-round opponent Bryant Beat writers predict Syracuse to beat Bryant and advance to 2nd round of NCAA tournament Published on May 11, 2014 at 2:15 pm Contact Jesse: [email protected] | @dougherty_jesse No. 4 Syracuse (11-4, 2-3 Atlantic Coast) faces No. 16 Bryant (15-4, 5-1 Northeast) in the first round of the NCAA tournament after the Bulldogs edged Siena in Wednesday’s play-in game. Last May, Syracuse beat Bryant 12-7 in the first round of the tournament. Here are three keys for the second-seeded Orange to do so again. 1. Faceoffs, faceoffs, faceoffs It’s been the story of the season for Syracuse and the NCAA tournament is promising to offer more of the same. Since SU’s 21-7 loss to Duke on March 23, senior faceoff specialist Chris Daddio has transformed his game at the X and fueled seven wins in eight games. But Daddio didn’t have to face Bryant’s Kevin Massa in that span. The Bulldogs’ specialist leads the country with a 71.4 faceoff percentage — no other player wins faceoffs at a 70 percent clip or higher — and won 6-of-7 fourth-quarter draws in Bryant’s win against Siena. Moreover, Massa won 22-of-23 faceoffs and helped the Bulldogs build a sizable lead before the Orange came back last year. Daddio went 0-for-9 in that game, and SU can’t afford another one-sided matchup. 2. Smart possessionsWith Massa’s past success against Daddio and the Orange as a whole, Syracuse will have to make the most of its offensive possessions. Maximizing its success at the X, Bryant also takes long possessions, only heightening the importance of SU’s ball security and shot selection. Kevin Rice said earlier in the week that if Daddio secures 50 percent of the faceoffs, Syracuse will be just fine. The Orange attack has proven this season that it can score whenever given the ball — like when it helped the team to a 12-10 win over John Hopkins despite winning just four faceoffs on March 15 — and it will need to make that apparent again Sunday. AdvertisementThis is placeholder text3. Keeping things clear Sticking to the possession theme, Syracuse can’t afford to give any up. Bryant’s ride wasn’t particularly aggressive against Siena, as the Saints went 15-for-18 on clears in the game. But the Saints did fail on two clearing attempts in the second half while Bryant took control of the game. Heading into the tournament, Syracuse is 37th in the country with a 86.4 clearing percentage. Bryant is 31st and one or two turnovers could be the difference in the game. Commentscenter_img Facebook Twitter Google+last_img read more

Broncos’ Drew Lock avoids holdout, signs rookie contract

first_imgLock was reportedly considering a holdout, but he agreed to terms with Denver less than a day before the team was set to open training camp. The deal Lock inked with Denver does not include the premium, according to NFL.com.Lock completed 62.9 percent of his passes and threw for 28 touchdowns, along with eight interceptions, as a senior with Missouri. He’s expected to back up Joe Flacco — who the Broncos acquired in a trade with the Ravens in the offseason — as a rookie.”(Quarterback) is a hard position to fill,” Denver president of football operations John Elway said Wednesday, via ESPN. “We tried to shake all these trees around here the last four years and the quarterbacks didn’t fall out. So, it’s difficult. We’ve taken a lot of shots, we’ve tried a lot of different situations. … Hopefully with Joe we’ve got it solidified with Drew (Lock) working under him.”Denver also has quarterbacks Kevin Hogan and Brett Rypien on its roster, but Elway said there will not be a competition for the starting spot. “When the football team has confidence with the guy at that position, it makes your football team better,” Elway said. “Joe proved, he showed everybody on our football team he’s that guy. Our team responded to him well. … He’s ready to take that spot over.”The Broncos finished 2018 with a 6-10 record and missed the playoffs for a third straight season. They fired Vance Joseph in late December and hired Vic Fangio to replace him. Phillip Lindsay injury update: Broncos running back (wrist) to return for training camp Peyton Manning: Now not ‘right time’ for ‘Monday Night Football’ jobcenter_img Drew Lock will be in attendance when the Broncos begin training camp.The 22-year-old quarterback has signed his rookie contract with Denver, the team announced Thursday. The Broncos have now signed all six of their draft picks from this year.Locked [email protected] has signed his rookie contract!📰 » https://t.co/ZzpMtfQF0c pic.twitter.com/wPH6rGTdB0— Denver Broncos (@Broncos) July 18, 2019The Broncos selected Lock in the second round of the 2019 draft. Negotiations between the signal-caller and the team stalled earlier this week because he was seeking a “quarterback premium,” which would have paid him more than his slot value, according to an earlier report from 9News.com. Related Newslast_img read more

Serie A coaching shuffle gives Ancelotti’s Napoli hope of toppling Juventus

first_imgReady to strike in Serie A: Carlo Ancelotti has won titles in Europe’s five biggest leaguesMilan, Italy | AFP |  As the sole survivor of a coaching shuffle among the leading challengers, Carlo Ancelotti could have the best chance to end Napoli’s 30-year wait for the Serie A title.Yet Antonio Conte’s arrival at Inter Milan has also raised expectations of an end to Juventus’s long domination in the season that kicks off on Saturday.Serie A runners-up Napoli have not held the Scudetto aloft since Argentine legend Diego Maradona inspired them to their only titles in 1987 and 1990.Ancelotti’s campaign begins in Fiorentina on Saturday, after Juventus, now coached by Maurizio Sarri, open their quest for a ninth consecutive title in Parma.Chinese-owned Inter Milan have also changed coaches with former Juventus and Chelsea boss Conte back home in Italy. Marco Giampaolo takes over at AC Milan and Paulo Fonseca at Roma.Sarri came close two years ago when he guided Napoli to runners-up spot, just four points behind Juventus, before moving to Chelsea.At 60, Sarri returns to Italy to coach Juventus as the champions look for a new direction despite five trophy-laden seasons under Massimiliano Allegri.The decision by Napoli-native Sarri to move north has hurt in his home town.“For us Neapolitans, that was a betrayal,” said captain Lorenzo Insigne.“Now we have to try to beat him at all costs.”Ancelotti embarks on the second year of his three-year contract, and wants silverware this campaign.The 60-year-old has won titles in Europe’s five biggest leagues. His Serie A title came with AC Milan back in 2004.He arrived in Naples boasting three Champions League trophies from his spells with Milan and Real Madrid, and a Premier League title from his two-year tenure at Chelsea.The veteran coach insists he has learned from his “transitional” first season.“We drew back the arrow, now we are ready to fire,” he warned. Ancelotti has bolstered in all areas with the arrival of defender Kostas Manolas, midfielder Elif Elmas and winger Hirving Lozano.– New-look Inter –Inter are being remodelled by former Italy boss Conte, who won three Serie A titles in a row with Juventus from 2012 to 2014, and the Premier League with Chelsea in 2017.Belgian forward Romelu Lukaku joins from Manchester United with young midfielders Stefano Sensi and Nicolo Barella arriving in the San Siro.Uncertainly remains however over the future of Argentine forward Mauro Icardi amid reported interest from Napoli.Inter last won the title in 2010 under Jose Mourinho, and open at home against newly-promoted Lecce on Saturday.But even amid uncertainty over how Sarri, who could miss the Parma opener with pneumonia, will adapt to life at Juventus, the Cristiano Ronaldo-powered champions remain favourites.Juventus have spent big with newly-signed Dutch defender Matthijs De Ligt and Turkey’s Merih Demiral.The midfield has been strengthened with PSG’s Adrien Rabiot and former Arsenal star Aaron Ramsey.Giampaolo takes over at AC Milan who missed out on Champions League qualification.The only non-Italian involved in this game of musical coaching benches, is Fonseca, working for the first time in Italy at Roma, who finished sixth last season.Gian Piero Gasperini remains at Atalanta after leading the unheralded northeners to a Champions League berth with a third-place finish just ahead of Inter on goal difference.The side from Bergamo open against SPAL.Share on: WhatsApplast_img read more

Women of excellence: Salukazi Dakile-Hlongwane, corporate dynamo driving women’s empowerment

first_imgSalukazi Dakile-Hlongwane has said her entrepreneurial spirit was inspired by her mother, who helped support the family by making and selling dresses to their Soweto neighbours.Salukazi Dakile-Hlongwane has a passion for social upliftment and has spent her career developing Africa and its women. The company she helped to create, Nozala Investments, is a broad-based women’s investment firm that aims to ensure economic advancement for women.Dakile-Hlongwane grew up in Soweto. Her father was a civil servant and her mother made and sold dresses to neighbours. She has said this inspired her own entrepreneurial spirit. Dakile-Hlongwane went to school in Lesotho, where her parents sent her to escape the Bantu education system. After school, she did an economics degree and went to work for the Lesotho National Development Corporation. She then went to the United States to do her MA in development economics.Since then, Dakile-Hlongwane has worked for the African Development Bank in the Côte d’Ivoire capital of Abidjan, for the Southern African Development Corporation in South Africa, and for FirstCorp Merchant Bank in the structured finance unit. She has served as CEO of Eqstra Holdings Limited and is a director of MultiChoice Africa. She was also assistant general manager of specialised finance at BoE NatWest.Dakile-Hlongwane and two other women, Jean Ngubane and Dawn Mokhobo, were the founding members of Nozala when it was established in 1996. It is currently controlled by its founding members through Nozala Holdings and 10 women’s empowerment groups. A separate trust supports business start-ups in poor areas.last_img read more

Hardik Pandya, KL Rahul controversy won’t affect Indian dressing room: Sunil Gavaskar

first_imgFormer India captain Sunil Gavaskar has said the India cricket team will not be affected and distracted by ongoing controversy surrounding Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul’s infamous comments during a popular television show, Koffee With Karan.Speaking to India Today, Gavaskar pointed out that both Pandya and Rahul haven’t been vital cogs of Virat Kohli’s Team India, who are currently in Australia for the last leg of their Australian tour – a three-match ODI series, starting January 12 in Sydney.Gavaskar’s comments come after Hardik Pandya and KL Rahul are in danger of facing punishments, including a possible two-match ban, for their remarks on the television show which was aired earlier this week.”I don’t think the dressing room would be affected, this team is beyond it. The two guys you are talking were not part of Test squad, one [Pandya] just joined for the last two Test matches but did not play. Rahul had very little role to play as a batsman so I don’t think it will matter. If it would have been somebody involved in a big way, then it might have affected the dressing room,” Gavaskar said.Gavaskar also insisted it’s up to the officials to deal with the issue and pointed out that the controversy surrounding Rahul and Hardik is vastly different from the ball-tampering issue that led to bans slapped on former Australia captain and vice-captain, Steve Smith and David Warner.”If you ask me about language or anything on the field, I can speak. Off-the-field, it is for the authorities to deal with the individual’s behaviour,” Gavaskar added.advertisement”Don’t forget what Warner, Smith, and Bancroft were punished for happened on the field. What you are talking about happened in a show off the field. Officials will have to apply their mind to see what to do with it.”Rahul, Pandya susceptible to honey trap approaches: BCCI officialThe Board of Control for Cricket in India had issued a show-cause notice to both Rahul and Pandya. Despite the latter issuing a public apology for his remarks, the Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators is not satisfied with it.In fact, CoA chief Vinod Rai recommended a two-match ban while revealing that Diana Edulji, a member of the committee, has sought legal opinion and the opinion of the BCCI top brass.Meanwhile, BCCI treasurer Anirudh Chaudhary has expressed fresh concerns, saying that both Rahul and Pandya could be susceptible to approaches from bookies, who carry out match-fixing via honey traps.Pandya and Rahul had become the first two cricketers to appear on the popular show, which is known for opening up celebrities on their personal lives, hosted by popular Bollywood filmmaker Karan Johar.While both the cricketers boasted about hooking up with multiple women, Pandya’s comments were borderline sexist and racist.From revealing that his parents ask him “acha tera wala (women) kaun sa hai (who is your interest here?) to conceding he likes observing the way women move, Hardik has received severe backlash for his comments.”When I lost my virginity, I came home and said, ‘Main karke aaya hai aaj (I had sex today)’. At a party my parents asked me ‘acha tera wala (women) kaun sa hai [who is your interest here?] so I said yeh, yeh, yeh (pointing out women)’ and they were like ‘waah proud of you beta’,” Pandya had boasted.Rahul then went on to reveal how they both decide on who gets to date a girl when Karan Johar asked them what happens when both of them like a particular person? “Up to the woman,” Rahul replied.But Pandya interrupted and said, “Nahi nahi aisa kuch nahi hai, talent pe hota hai. Jisko mila woh leke jao. It is on talent.”Also Read | BCCI raises honey trap concerns after Hardik, Rahul boast of night outs on TV showAlso Read | Hardik Pandya apologises for misogynistic comments on Koffee with Karan: Got carried awayAlso Read | BCCI considers barring players from non-cricket shows after Hardik Pandya controversyAlso See:last_img read more

Inter legend says they must stop Suso

first_imgFor former defender Beppe Bergomi, “the way to stop Gonzalo Higuain and Milan is by neutralizing Suso” in the Derby Della MadonninaInternazionale Milan and AC Milan will face off in the Derby Della Madonnina this Sunday at San Siro Stadium.And for former defender Beppe Bergormi, there is only one way to stop AC Milan.“The two players who I think are fired up in the right way to decide the derby are Lautaro Martinez and Patrick Cutrone, as they can also come off the bench with a sense of recklessness and shake things up,” Bergomi was quoted by Football Italia.Stefano Sensi, inter milanReport: Inter go top with win over Udinese George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Inter Milan are top of Serie A after beating Udinese to make it three wins out of three.Antonio Conte’s career at Inter Milan, could…“There’s a lot of quality, but we saw in last season’s 0-0 that it doesn’t necessarily mean goals. Inter have the wide men and Radja Nainggolan who can slip in, while Milan can count on Suso, Higuain and their aggressive midfielders pushing forward.”“We can ask Icardi for more, to be a leader on the pitch and work harder for the team, but must ultimately concentrate on his extraordinary knack for finishing chances in the box,” he added.“The way to stop Higuain and Milan is by neutralizing Suso. Higuain lunges at every loose ball and has a good shot from distance too. I think Milan Skriniar is the one who can mark him, as he’s so good in one-on-one situations. He fires up the crowd with his tackles, too.”last_img read more