Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York More than 200 Nassau County workers took early retirement incentives aimed at cutting payroll expenses Friday, but a fiscal control board is skeptical of plans to borrow millions to fund the package.County Executive Ed Mangano proposed the separation agreements as a way to close a $77 million projected deficit stemming from slumping sales tax revenue and the county legislature approved $5 million in bonding to fund the plan last month. But, since more workers signed on than were expected, the county plans to request an additional $3.5 million, bringing the total planned borrowing to $8.5 million, Newsday reported. This week, the Nassau Interim Finance Authority (NIFA) reminded the administration that the board previously passed a resolution requiring the county to propose a balanced budget for the following year before asking NIFA to approve more bonding.“You’d like the board to consider either ignoring or retracting its decision,” Chris Wright, the most outspoken NIFA board member, told Rob Walker, the chief deputy county executive, at the panel’s Sept. 10 meeting. Walker replied: “I’ll ask you to make your decision for yourselves.”NIFA approved the separation plan, but the proposed bonding is not expected to be formally presented to NIFA until later. The county expects to pay for the first 75 separations out of operating expenses. The workers are to get $1,000 for each year of service.A spokeswoman for Mangano said some workers already left and 150 are slated to leave Friday. A spokesman for the Civil Service Employees Association Local 830, the largest of the five unions representing county workers, said additional employees are expected to submit to the plan by the end of the day.The incentive is the latest in a string of several such packages offered to Nassau workers over the years as the county sought to reel in expenses after it nearly went bankrupt at the turn of the millennium under the Republican administration of Tom Gulotta, whose mismanagement prompted NIFA’s creation. Mangano also laid off hundreds of county workers when NIFA stepped up its monitoring role to a full control board in 2011 shortly after Mangano, a Republican, unseated his Democratic predecessor, Tom Suozzi.The departing workers this time come from a variety of departments, including social services, public works and crossing guards. Some of the vacated positions will be filled by other workers, such as sewer workers slated to be reassigned after the county sewage system is turned over to a private company. It’s unclear how much the plan will save.“Actual savings will depend upon the number of vacant positions that are backfilled,” said Evan Cohen, NIFA executive director. Walker, Mangano’s chief deputy, estimated that even if 70 percent of the vacated positions are filled, the county will save $5.2 million, but they don’t expect that many workers to be replaced.NIFA Chairman Jon Kaiman expressed concern about the uncertainty regarding the number of replacements and echoed Wright’s concerns about the Mangano administration, indicating that it may request borrowing without first having a proposed budget.“We would like to understand that there is a plan that…will be monitored and followed and it’s not simply a matter of getting some folks off the payrolls to be replaced by others at the same salary a few months later,” Kaiman said. He later added: “I think the board would have a better comfort level with it if the savings that have been articulated…are part of a plan that’s presented to us with an overall budget plan.”In order to fill this year’s budget gap without breaking Mangano’s campaign promise not to raise property taxes, the county has also raised fees at parks and on permit applications as well as installed speed cameras in school zones—tickets from which were dismissed under a botched roll out this summer.In other business this week, NIFA approved several county contracts, including one in which United Water will take over operation of the county sewer system. The panel also approved lifting the wage freeze for the county Corrections Officers Benevolent Association, the last county worker union to receive raises.
Fernandes continued his explosive start at United, following his £46million move from Sporting Lisbon, with his third goal in as many games in Sunday’s 1-1 draw at Everton . The point kept Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side in fifth place, three points behind fourth-placed Chelsea , with 10 games left to play.Advertisement Loading… Bruno Fernandes has claimed Manchester United must raise their level if they are to secure a Champions League place. Promoted ContentSome Impressive And Almost Shocking Robots That Exist6 Extreme Facts About Hurricanes6 Incredibly Strange Facts About Hurricanes8 Scenes That Prove TV Has Gone Too Far8 Best 1980s High Tech GadgetsThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s HystericalWhy Do So Many Digital Assistants Have Feminine Names & Voices?Which Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks8 Addictive And Fun Coffee Facts8 Shows That Went From “Funny” To “Why Am I Watching This”10 Awesome TV Series That Got Cancelled Way Too Soon Although United did not lose and kept within touching distance of Frank Lampard’s side with the point at Goodison Park, Fernandes said the Reds now need to embark on a winning run. “With this draw, we need to be a little bit mad, because we need to do much better,” said Fernandes. Read Also:Ferdinand: Fernandes a breath of fresh air at Man Utd “We need to win the games, because we want a place in the Champions League. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享
Ghana U20 coach Sellas Tetteh has made four changes to his starting line-up to face Spain in tonight’s must-win Group A clash.The former Rwanda national team coach has handed starting roles to Richmond Boakye-Yiadom and Baba Abdul Rahman who was with the senior national team for the 2014 World Cup qualifiers.This means Ebenezer Ofori and striker Ebenezer Assifuah have lost their places in the team which lost 3-1 to France last Friday.Midfielders Siedu Salifu and Clifford Aboagye have replaced Moses Odjer and Michael Anaba.The Black Satelllites need a win to enhance their chances of progressing to the knock-out stage.Spain are favourites after a resounding 4-1 win against USA in the opener on Friday. Ghana squad: Eric Antwi – Richmond Nketiah, Lawrence Lartey, Joseph Attamah, Baba Rahman – Alfred Duncan, Seidu Salifu, Frank Acheampong, Clifford Aboagye, Francis Narh – Richmond Boakye Yiadom