Growers Look Ahead to 2019; Corn and Soybean Price Outlook

first_img Previous articleLittle Room for Farm Bill in Lame DuckNext articleCommodity Classic a Farmer Event Worth Attending Eric Pfeiffer Facebook Twitter SHARE Facebook Twitter Growers Look Ahead to 2019; Corn and Soybean Price Outlook Growers Look Ahead to 2019; Corn and Soybean Price OutlookAs growers wrap up the 2018 harvest, many are already looking forward to the 2019 growing season. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of unanswered questions about next year. Will there be a farm bill? Will we be able to come to an agreement with China and end the trade war? Jackson Takach, Director of Economic Research and Business Innovation at Farmer Mac, doesn’t have the answer to those questions, but he gave his best guess for an outlook of soybean prices for 2019.“If we can open up trade with China, I see a lot of room for soybean prices to run up; 20% or maybe even as high as 25% increase in soybean prices. Absent a deal with China, I think they’re going to hover right around the $7-$8 range.”He adds that without the China deal more growers will opt for more corn and wheat acres. His outlook for corn in 2019 is in the $3 average range.“We’re at $3.25 to $3.50 now for the national average, take a quarter out of that. For wheat prices, certainly in the $4-$5 range. It’s definitely a possibility if more people switch back into wheat, especially the upper plains, so North Dakota and South Dakota. I’ve heard people say, ‘I’m never going soybeans again because they’ve been so traumatized by the pull out of all this trade action in soybeans.’ So, those people go back into wheat, you could see that pressure come back into the wheat market down to $4.”Takach said one thing you can count on for 2019 is higher operating loan costs.“For every quarter point that the fed raises, the farmer is going to feel that in their operating line. Probably not so much in their land loan as those tend to be fixed for longer periods of time, but the operating loans are going to be up for renewal every year and that interest rate is going to go up with the announcement of the fed. So, if the fed raises, farmers are going to pay more. It’s going to be passed through almost 100 percent to the farmer.Takach spoke with reporters at the 2018 Ag Bankers Association National Conference in Omaha. SHARE By Eric Pfeiffer – Nov 13, 2018 Home Indiana Agriculture News Growers Look Ahead to 2019; Corn and Soybean Price Outlooklast_img read more

Solskjaer wants new boys to impress

first_img The trio are set to make their debuts in Saturday’s clash with Norwich, a match the Bluebirds can hardly afford to lose as they sit bottom of the Premier League table. Solskjaer is positive about his new recruits but admits a run of seven league games without a win means his new men have to deliver from the off. He said: “There is no honeymoon period when you come into the thick of it. We expect them and want them to perform straight away. “The players I have got in all give us something different and something that can make a difference, a presence in the box and enthusiasm. Together they complement my squad. “We have really had a tough month but I have seen some great development in the month. We played some very nice football at Manchester United and the new boys might have been what we were lacking.” Solskjaer had particular praise for Zaha. The 21-year-old joined United from Crystal Palace but made just four appearances under David Moyes this season. But Solskjaer does not feel the wide man’s struggles at Old Trafford mean he has to prove himself at Cardiff. Wilfried Zaha completed his loan switch from Manchester United on Friday, while Fabio had made his move from Old Trafford earlier in the week. Kenwyne Jones has also arrived at the Cardiff City Stadium, as part of an exchange deal that saw Peter Odemwingie head to Stoke. Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has told his trio of high-profile signings there will be no time for a honeymoon period at Cardiff. ”He has pace, power, technical ability and goes past people. He will give us that extra change of tempo in the final third, where we really need it,” he said. ”He will bring that little final bit to find pockets of space and produce a bit of magic. ”I don’t think he has something to prove, he wants to play.’ ”He played a few games at United, but maybe not what he hoped for when he went there. ”He wants to play, to play with confidence and keep Cardiff in the Premier League.” Solskjaer has brought in six players in January, having added the Norwegian trio of Magnus Wolff Eikrem, Mats Moller Daehli and Jo Inge Berget earlier in the month. In terms of outgoings, Craig Conway has joined Blackburn while Etien Velikonja has moved to Rio Ave on loan. Andreas Cornelius also looked to be heading through the exit door after an uninspiring spell in south Wales. Cardiff paid £8million for the 20-year-old in the summer, but he failed to score a first-team goal and was likely to return to Copenhagen in a cut-price deal worth £3million. Solskjaer said: ”He has had a hard time, he came here with big potential, he is a young kid and young kids are not the ones you expect to carry a team. He is a young man who will play lot of good football in his career.” Press Associationlast_img read more

FIFA Fines Nigeria over Crowd Control

first_imgWorld governing body FIFA has slammed Nigeria with a fine of 30,000 Swiss Francs for fans’ unruly behaviour after the Super Eagles’ 4-0 win over Cameroon at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium in Uyo last month.Nigeria was also warned against future occurrence.According to a statement on the official website of FIFA yesterday, Nigeria violated article 65 and 67 of the FBC FIFA stadium safety and security regulations.Nigeria was also charged for improper conduct amongst spectators (pitch invasions by supporters and invasions of restricted areas by supporters other than the pitch). The Super Eagles face Zambia on Saturday at the Godswill Akpabio Stadium in a crucial 2018 World Cup qualifier.Other countries fined for various offences according to the statement include Germany, Brazil, Burkina Faso, Chile, England, France and Guinea.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more

Aldin Šetkić Wins the ITF Futures Tournament in Instanbul

first_img(Source: Fena) Bosnian tennis player Aldin Šetkić is the winner of the ITF Futures Tournament in Istanbul.In the final match of the 10 000 Dollars worth tournament, Šetkić as the first holder has defeated South African Nikal Scholtz who is ranked 7th (683. position at the ATP list) with the result of 6:2, 6:3.This is the 14th title at the ITF Futures Tournaments won by the 27 year old Šetkić, currently ranked as 267th at the ATP list.last_img

a month ago​Brighton midfielder Stephens: I’ve never played in a team like this

first_img​Brighton midfielder Stephens: I’ve never played in a team like thisby Ansser Sadiqa month agoSend to a friendShare the loveBrighton midfielder Dale Stephens admits that he has never played on a team with such quality.The Albion have gone through a change in style this summer, with manager Graham Potter favouring a possession based, attacking game plan.And Stephens admits that having so much of the ball in games is a change for him, given the way his teams have usually played throughout his career.Asked by reporters if he has played in such a team before, Stephens responded by saying:”No, honestly not.”It’s the first time I have played in a system that probably suits me better, I would say.”It probably suits the players and individuals we have at the club at the minute.”Everyone is enjoying playing in a team that is dominating possession.” About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Video: Awesome Footage Of Kentucky’s John Calipari, Michigan State’s Tom Izzo Discussing Their Recruiting Battles

first_imgJohn Calipari and Tom Izzo are interviewed.John Calipari Tom IzzoJohn Calipari and Tom Izzo were together at an event to fight cancer at the Oakland Hills Country Club on Monday. During the event, put together by Oakland coach Greg Kampe, the Kentucky and Michigan State coach spoke with reporters. Recruiting came up. Calipari, who’s notorious at this point for being the best recruiter in the country, said Izzo has beaten him for prospects “way more than I’ve beaten him.” Izzo reacted appropriately. Here’s the full conversation, courtesy of the Lansing State Journal.  Perhaps Izzo was beating out Calipari for recruits when the Kentucky coach was at Memphis, but it seems pretty crazy for him to say Izzo’s beaten him “way more than I’ve beaten him.” [LSJ]last_img

1st Heritage Class Shuttle Tanker Joins Teekay Offshore

first_imgImage Courtesy: TeekayTeekay Offshore has taken delivery of Beothuk Spirit, the first of its three Heritage Class shuttle tankers, from Samsung Heavy Industries (SHI) shipyard in South Korea. Currently, the 147,000 dwt Beothuk Spirit, which flies the flag of Canada, has a market value of USD 104.61 million, according to data provided by VesselsValue.Named in August this year, the three newbuildings will provide crude transportation services in East Coast Canada.Beothuk Spirit’s sister vessels, Norse Spirit and Dorset Spirit, are scheduled for delivery in November 2017 and in early 2018, respectively.The 75,000 gross ton vessels will operate at Hibernia, Terra Nova, White Rose and Hebron offshore oil fields located in St. John’s, Newfoundland & Labrador.The tankers will replace two in-charters and one owned vessel currently servicing a 15-year, plus extension options, contract with a group of companies that includes Chevron Canada, Exxon Mobil, Husky Energy, Mosbacher Operating, Murphy Oil, Nalcor Energy, Statoil and Suncor Energy.last_img read more

Saskatchewan premier going to Washington DC after steel tariffs announced

first_imgREGINA – Saskatchewan Premier Scott Moe is heading to Washington, D.C., next week to meet with officials about the United States imposing tariffs on Canadian-made steel and aluminum.Moe says the tariffs, which he calls troubling, will hurt the Evraz steel plant in Regina, which employs about 1,000 people. He adds that he doesn’t think any trade war is productive.“We’ve always been supportive of free and open trade and we continue to be, so we’ll be engaging next week in Washington on this file as well as the broader NAFTA file,” Moe said Thursday.The Saskatchewan government is to meet with senators, members of Congress and three senior members of the White House.Within hours of the U.S. announcement on Thursday, the federal government retaliated by imposing dollar-for-dollar tariff “countermeasures” on up to $16.6 billion worth of U.S. imports into Canada.The tariffs, which apply to a long list of U.S. products that includes everything from flat-rolled steel to playing cards and felt-tipped pens, are to go into effect July 1, Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland told a news conference.Moe said he’s also spoken with Conrad Winkler, the CEO and president of Evraz North America. The two plan to talk further over the phone in the coming days, he said.“Challenging time I’m sure for a company like Evraz that has plants on both sides of the border, and they’ll be assessing how that impacts them as well, I’m certain,” Moe said.Canada, Mexico and Europe had been exempted from import duties of 25 per cent on steel and 10 per cent on aluminum when they were first imposed in March.Moe, who will be visiting Washington for the first time, talked to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau on Wednesday prior to the U.S. move to lift the exemption and praised the federal government for its work on North American Free Trade Agreement talks.The premier said that 55 per cent of the province’s exports go south of the border and 85 per cent of its imports come from the U.S.One in five Saskatchewan jobs are dependent on trade with other nations, including the U.S., he added.Moe said he’ll be making all those points during his visit.“I’ll be impressing the impact on our province, on the jobs of the province and on the strength that we have globally when we have strong arrangements across the border,” he said.— Follow @RyanBMcKenna on Twitterlast_img read more

Forecast calls for 500 fewer wells this year despite higher global oil

first_imgCALGARY – The head of Canada’s largest drilling company says he’s not surprised that a Canadian drilling forecast is being chopped despite higher global oil prices so far this year.Kevin Neveu, CEO of Precision Drilling Corp., said Tuesday his company is in the process of moving an idle drilling rig from the Deep Basin of northwestern Alberta to Pennsylvania, where it is expected to find work drilling natural gas wells in the Marcellus Basin.In the past two years, Precision has authorized the building of two new rigs in the U.S. but none in Canada, he said, because demand hasn’t justified it.“Oil prices are not too bad — and when you throw in the exchange rate, they’re actually probably OK — but a lot of our Canadian customers are still quite gassy in their production and rely on natural gas sales to fund a lot of their programs,” said Neveu.“With (Alberta) AECO prices so tight, it’s just really tough for a lot of our customers.”The Petroleum Services Association of Canada said Tuesday it is cutting its 2018 Canadian drilling forecast by 500 wells to 6,900 oil and gas wells, 200 fewer than were drilled in 2017, and nearly seven per cent less than its April forecast for 7,400 this year.“In general terms, revenue numbers for our sector are up year over year but we note that several publicly traded Canadian service companies are reporting minimal improvement in the quality of bottom line earnings; many are sitting at near breakeven or are still in negative territory,” PSAC CEO Tom Whalen said.“This is not sustainable from a business continuity and competitiveness perspective. It’s also a compounding symptom of the sector’s lack of attractiveness for investment.”Producers are drilling longer wells but the number of wells is down by 200 through six months of 2018 compared with the same period of 2017, PSAC reported.Benchmark New York oil prices averaged US$67.91 per barrel in the second quarter ended June 30, up from US$48.33 in the same period of 2017, but Alberta natural prices fell to C$1.20 per million British thermal units from C$2.69.Whalen says Canadian companies aren’t able to gain from higher world crude prices because pipeline capacity is inadequate to take products to market, resulting in higher-than-usual price discounts for western Canadian oil.Meanwhile, natural gas prices continue to languish thanks to both gathering pipeline constraints in B.C. and Alberta and competition from burgeoning U.S. shale gas plays.Precision reported last week it had 78 rigs operating from its fleet of 103 in the United States as of June 30 but only 60 from its larger fleet of 136 in Canada.U.S. operations have recovered to about 80 per cent of their peak 2014 activity but Canadian operations remain at less than 40 per cent, Neveu said.Earlier this year, Calgary-based Akita Drilling Ltd. and Trinidad Drilling Ltd. each announced they would move rigs from Western Canada to West Texas at the invitation of producer customers.Follow @HealingSlowly on Twitter.Companies in this article: (TSX:PD, TSX:AKT, TSX:TDG)last_img read more