Grande Prairie woman dies after assault by neighbour

first_imgGRANDE PRAIRIE, A.B. – The Grande Prairie RCMP have laid charges of manslaughter after a female was assaulted and passed away Friday.On May 11 at 9:38 am RCMP and EMS responded to an assault complaint. The victim advised she needed medical attention and that she had been assaulted the previous night by a female tenant named Barb.The victim passed away Friday. Edmonton Major Crime Unit have assumed carriage of the file to assist Grande Prairie Detachment and their GIS unit. An Autopsy has been scheduled for Tuesday May 17.- Advertisement -Barb Wright of Grande Prairie has been charged with one count of Manslaughter and is scheduled to appear in Grande Prairie Court on Monday, May 15th.Police are asking the public if they had any contact with Sherra Eckert on May 10th or May 11th or if they have any information about this incident to contact the Grande Prairie Detachment at 780-830-5701. If you want to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers by phoning 1-800-222-8477.last_img read more

Fishing the North Coast: Tuna fever hits Humboldt

first_imgTuna fever is spreading quickly amongst Humboldt County saltwater fishermen. There’s warm water sitting off the coast of Eureka, and there are patches lined up all the way to Charleston, Oregon, giving anglers a few different options. A small three-day weather window opened up for Eureka on Wednesday and a few boats made the 27-mile run due west to the where the water turned 60 degrees. Tim Klassen of Reel Steel Sport Fishing was one of the boats to venture out and boxed 11 albacore in the …last_img

USDA Pulls Electronic Animal ID Mandate

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Todd NeeleyDTN Staff ReporterOMAHA (DTN) — USDA’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service has withdrawn a policy to require the use of radio frequency identification, or RFID, of animals in interstate commerce. But a number of ranchers and a national cattle group have yet to withdraw a lawsuit they filed against APHIS last month challenging the policy.The ranchers, led by the Ranchers Cattlemen Action Legal Fund United Stockgrowers of America, or R-CALF USA, alleged in an Oct. 4 lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Wyoming, that a USDA plan on RFID “unlawfully mandates” the technology in ear tags and other technology for livestock.Though APHIS said in an Oct. 25 statement that a factsheet posted to its website is “no longer representative of current agency policy,” court records show the lawsuit has not been dropped.Harriet Hageman, a senior litigation counsel at the New Civil Liberties Alliance in Washington, D.C., told DTN, “APHIS has currently withdrawn the April 2019 factsheet. We are evaluating that decision.”APHIS said it reconsidered the proposal in light of recent executive orders coming from President Donald Trump highlighting the need for “transparency and communication on the issues set forth in the factsheet before placing any new requirements on American farmers and ranchers.”Before the APHIS guidance document was posted, Trump had issued two executive orders designed to prevent federal agencies from using guidance documents to impose legal requirements without following a rulemaking procedure.The agency said it continues to believe RFID technology is important for animal agriculture.“We continue to believe that RFID devices will provide the cattle industry with the best protection against the rapid spread of animal diseases, as well as meet the growing expectations of foreign and domestic buyers,” APHIS said in the statement.The agency said it would “encourage the use of radio frequency identification devices through financial incentives” based on feedback from the industry.In an Oct. 23 R-CALF news release, Hageman said the group was hopeful APHIS was acknowledging the “strength of our lawsuit” in dropping the proposal.The lawsuit alleges the APHIS plan “quickly phases out the use of other types of animal identification, including those methods specifically approved by final rule issued in 2013” by Jan. 1, 2023. The 2013 rule governs the traceability of livestock moving between states. It allows branding, non-RFID ear tags, tattoos, group/lot identification numbers and back tags.The lawsuit claims USDA issued the RFID plan in April 2019 without following notice-and-comment procedures. The group also alleges USDA violated the Federal Advisory Committee Act by relying only on a hand-picked group of members who have been advocating for the use of RFID. That includes industry officials and ear tag manufacturers. R-CALF claims the latest USDA actions violate federal law that requires balanced representation on advisory committees.The lawsuit claims farmers and ranchers could face economic harm as a result of the agency’s actions. USDA has asserted it has the authority to penalize livestock producers not following the 2019 requirement.The 2013 rule came about as a result of concerns about the spread of disease among livestock.Read the APHIS statement here: https://www.aphis.usda.gov/…Todd Neeley can be reached at [email protected] him on Twitter @toddneeleyDTN(AG/SK)© Copyright 2019 DTN/The Progressive Farmer. All rights reserved.last_img read more

Video: Awesome Footage Of Kentucky’s John Calipari, Michigan State’s Tom Izzo Discussing Their Recruiting Battles

first_imgJohn Calipari and Tom Izzo are interviewed.John Calipari Tom IzzoJohn Calipari and Tom Izzo were together at an event to fight cancer at the Oakland Hills Country Club on Monday. During the event, put together by Oakland coach Greg Kampe, the Kentucky and Michigan State coach spoke with reporters. Recruiting came up. Calipari, who’s notorious at this point for being the best recruiter in the country, said Izzo has beaten him for prospects “way more than I’ve beaten him.” Izzo reacted appropriately. Here’s the full conversation, courtesy of the Lansing State Journal.  Perhaps Izzo was beating out Calipari for recruits when the Kentucky coach was at Memphis, but it seems pretty crazy for him to say Izzo’s beaten him “way more than I’ve beaten him.” [LSJ]last_img

Mens lacrosse Ohio State to square off against familiar face in NCAA

Ohio State senior attack Eric Fannell scored five goals in the Buckeyes dramatic comeback 11-10 overtime victory over Maryland on April 22 at Ohio Stadium. Credit: Courtesy of OSU AthleticsWHAT: NCAA Men’s Lacrosse Championship – No. 3 Ohio State vs. No. 1 Maryland at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts.HOW TO WATCH: ESPN2 at 1 p.m. Streaming on WatchESPN app and ESPN3.comIt all comes down to this. A matchup of Big Ten rivals who have battled neck-and-neck all season will determine the next NCAA men’s lacrosse champion.The No. 3 Ohio State men’s lacrosse team (16-4) has battled No. 1 Maryland (15-3) twice this season, edging out the Terrapins at home in an 11-10 overtime thriller on April 22, and losing 10-9 in the finals of the Big Ten tournament in Columbus.After the team lost to Maryland in the tournament finals, coach Nick Myers and the rest of his unit believed that if they played to the level they were capable of, this season would end in a matchup between them and their East Coast rivals.“We have a ton of respect for Maryland,” Myers said. “We felt that night, we looked at each other and without knowing how this was going to turn out, ‘Hey, we’re going to see these guys again if we take care of business.’”Though the teams have built up a rivalry through their close, competitive games this season, Myers said that contempt for the opposition will not be the driving factor behind their play on Monday. Instead, respect for the opposition and the desire to play their best possible lacrosse would be what pushes the Buckeyes to play well.“You have to play your best lacrosse if you want to try to go out there and beat Maryland,” Myers said. “I think that that, more than contempt, is what it brings out.”The players echoed Myers’ sentiment.“The whole team is excited to play Maryland again,” senior attackman Eric Fannell said. “They’re a very, very good team, as coach Myers said. We have a lot of respect for them. And every time we play them, we play to our best ability and so do they. Big Ten matchup again. Grudge match.”The two teams will enter the game coming off a pair of narrow victories in the semifinals. OSU edged out Towson 11-10, and Maryland hung on late against fifth-seeded Denver to win 9-8.Though both games were close, and relatively low-scoring, the Buckeyes are prepared for a game that could be more of an offensive show, taking on a team that averaged the 10th-most goals per game in the NCAA this past season (12.67 goals per game).“They play a good team offense,” Myers said. “They’ve got a good front six — as good a front six as there is in lacrosse. We feel strongly in ours, and I think you’re going to see a collision tomorrow as you did in the first couple games.”The matchup in the Big Ten tournament championship game did not prove to be quite the offensive show many expected, until late in the game when a total of nine goals were scored in the fourth quarter in an eventual 10-9 Maryland victory.Myers believes that for the Buckeyes to find success against the Terrapins on Monday, the Buckeyes will need to put together an offensive effort capable of keeping up with their opponents.“That was a heavyweight slugfest that you saw in the Big Ten championship,” Myers said. “We’re chasing our best offense, and for us to accomplish the ultimate goal, we’ll have to do that. I think Maryland’s going to bring that out in us.”But this time, the stakes are a bit higher than they were the last time these two teams met. It is no longer a Big Ten title on the line. Now it’s for the NCAA championship.In the history of OSU lacrosse, the team has never made it to this point. It had never even made it to the semifinals before this season. And now, on the doorstep of history for the program, seniors like midfielder Jake Withers believe that while the program has vastly surpassed expectation in their tenure, the end goal has still not yet been reached.“We came a long way since my freshman year four years ago, and we’ve stumbled and we’ve made some steps. I feel like this year, you know, the progression that we’ve made to championship weekend is a culmination of all those things together,” Withers said. “With that said, we’re not done. Although we made a championship weekend and championship game, we want to make history and be the first Buckeye lacrosse team to bring the trophy back to Columbus.” read more

Premier continues to welcome critical delegations

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#TurksandCaicos, October 20, 2017 – Providenciales – Premier Robinson continues to welcome many regional and international partners who are offering assistance and support in the country’s Recovery efforts.“The level of assistance being offered is unprecedented and we are grateful that in this climate where many countries around the world are affected by recent disasters, our country is being considered favorably in our early framing days of our recovery strategy.   We have a few more critical assessments to complete and we are pleased that the various offers of assistance can be factored in for consideration in our Strategic Recovery Framework”, said Premier Robinson.   “People are eager to learn what if anything the Government is able to do in terms of housing repairs, business support and rebuilding. We are closer to that date and we are pleased with the critical work done thus far.”“Last week I was pleased to welcome the DFID/FCO Reconstruction Team which comprised of critical skills and posts.  The Team led by Chris Austin, Barbados based head of the UK Joint Task Force in the region comprised of David Barlow, Consultant on Emergency Planning; Alex Stevens, Head of OT Governance Team, DFID; John Bowker, Infrastructure Advisor, DFID; David Woolnough and Miriam Sachak, head of Economic and Financial team, DFID, FCO.”“The Team was able to meet with the Governor, myself, Ministers, Senior Public Service Management and critical Department Heads.   I was pleased with the dialogue and was satisfied with the initial feedback received in the Debriefing at the end of the Visit.   The Team will report to the UK Ministerial Group and formal dialogue will follow on our country’s needs and the UK’s commitments.”“I was likewise delighted to receive a courtesy call from a Bahamian Delegation led by the Hon Philip Brave Davis, Leader of the Opposition and which included Member of Parliament, Hon Paiswell Forbes and Senator the Hon Jobeth Coleby Davis.“This week, I welcomed Caribbean representative, Diane Quarless for UN ECLAC.    At my invitation, a full delegation will travel to TCI the first week of November to continue the critical damage and Loss Assessment Report.   The work of UN ECLAC is critical in assessing our economic loss and recommendations for recovery efforts.”Press Release: TCIG Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:last_img read more

Grand Turk welcomes first cruise since storms Carnival Ecstasy docks November 1

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#GRANDTURK, Turks and Caicos Islands – November 3, 2017 – Five cruise ships are scheduled to dock at the Grand Turk Cruise Center next week and on November 1, as announced by Tourism Officials, the site welcomed back its first ship since the September hurricanes.Carnival Ecstasy, stopping in on Wednesday on a seven day voyage from Charleston spent eight hours in the Capital and welcomed aboard the Governor and Tourist Board officials.   Carnival said on its blog that, “The festivities included a shipboard reception with the Carnival Ecstasy’s officers, executives from Carnival Corporation and port and TCI government officials. During the Carnival Ecstasy’s day-long stop in Grand Turk, guests enjoyed the port’s wide range of amenities, including unique shopping and dining experiences and an on-site pool, as well as a variety of shore excursion experiences.”Some of the those experiences included zip lining at the Lighthouse.Minister of Infrastructure Goldray Ewing explained that government and Carnival were pulling out all of the stops when it came to ensuring the island was cleaned up from debris and ready to receive this first cruise ship guests, a significant sign of a return to life as usual for the country’s Capital.   A photo shared with Magnetic Media by Tourism Minister, Ralph Higgs showed guests lounging on the beach and other photos featured the crew and captain enjoying the docking, and making a presentation to Governor, Dr. John Freeman.    Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Related Items:last_img read more